Thursday, November 17, 2005

iNumBloggers--; a.k.a. My blog needs an enema.

Will (linked over on the right) has opted out of the "blogosphere" (shudder - hate that term).

Not sure his reasons, but oh well, so be it. Will, we hardly knew ye!

This led to an impossible slippery slope of to-do's on my part.

- Should remove link to Will's blog from my template.

- Hmm... should probably update that whole list. Some are rarely updated (Jane, Jen...) or impossibly slow (Tim, what are you hosted on? an abacus?) , and there are others whose feeds are on my www.start.com page but whom I haven't gotten around to linking to on my blog. (aside, I guess start.com was the predecessor for www.live.com ? Should probably start using that but there doesn't seem to be a migration tool...)

- So then I start thinking that other bits of my blog are out of date: Book lists (those were NOT the last books I read, btw).

- Which leads me to a bunch of other things I've been meaning to do regarding my online presence: register a domain, more powerful blogging service and/or software, book reviews, photo repository (flickr? host my own?), have been thinking about dabbling in podcasting... the list goes on. For that matter, the name should change. I don't write much code anymore, and the pitching manure thing was a tongue in cheek comment about my former life as an evangelist.

Now all that being said, let's get back to fundamentals: I'm busy; I enjoy doing this but don't want it to suck too much time (and I just don't want it to suck too much, period); and I want to create as much content as I like while learning as little about the plumbing as I need to. I have very little interest in authoring scripts, become a .NETophile, etc.

So, what to do?

Tentative plan now is to spend some spare cycles over the next month studying different options. Over Xmas break I can probably migrate stuff if I in fact decide to do so. KimBlog2.0 anyone?

In the meantime, I welcome suggestions on content, likes/dislikes, and what options y'all use. Also, anyone tried migrating from blogger to something else and taken all their content with them? Possible?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least change your freakin' location, eh?!

Anonymous said...

i wanted to switch to blogger at some point, but didn't because they didn't provide any way to import data

KimPallister said...

John: Done.

Billy: Yep, they are limited for a number of reasons. Was nice to get me started, but for year 2 I may want some more features.