Monday, October 17, 2005

Top ten weblog design mistakes

Jakob Nielson posts this really good list of common design mistakes people are guilty of with their blogs. It's a good read if you blog or are thinking about doing so.

I am guilty of #3 (wow, I made it past 1,2), 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10.

#3 and #4 get fixed now. Self-discipline is the only issue here.

#5, #6, #10 are going to take more time. I do plan on doing a major site redesign, taking into account these issues, some useability/capability issues I have with blogger, and (if it fits my needs) moving to one of MS's blog services ('cause dogfooding's important!).

#8 (mixing topics) I'm in violation of, but wrestling with. I'm hoping the right categorization will help, but I'll have to see what I can come up with in terms of interface that lets this be done in an intuitive way for readers. Maybe multiple blogs with a megafeed or "one blog to rule them all"?

#1,#2,#7, #9 are the only ones I passed on. 4/10. Not exactly a gold-star grade, now is it?

Here's to self-improvement!

No comments: