Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Games are like Flowers



In a recent post, Robin comments:

"Being a commercial developer has taken some of the joy out of seeing other developers talk. Even with the gigantic, mesmerizing mass that is Spore, all I can think about is the game’s design challenges, how it will play, and how much the team has left to do.

I have to disagree. I find that to make them even more awesome. I had the same impression working at Intel. The more I learned about what it took to get a piece of silicon out the door, the more amazed I was by the final product. I think physicist Richard Feynman summed it up very well:

Richard Feynman - Ode on a Flower

2 comments:

Patrick said...

I'm reminded of a term from Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid - reductholism. You can break something down and by gasping the interactions between the reduced elements the holistic feel becomes clearly self-evident, rather than merely inferred.

KimPallister said...

>It's like I'm a mother who is watching her kid play on a shiny, new jungle gym

Now THIS simile I can understand!