Sunday, November 4, 2007

Mini-review: Guitar Hero 3 (360)

I picked up GH3 late last week. The title's been written up to death, so I'll give a very brief 'mini-review' of my impressions:

Good:

  • Better track selection than the first, my guess is because of the increased attention and budget, plus the 'arms race' (perhaps neck-and-neck race would be a better metaphor) with Rock band.
  • The highlighting/hinting of notes that can be hammer-ons or pull-offs is a nice bit of polish and for me anyway, really useful.
  • The cutscenes are appropriately tongue-in-cheek.
  • I like the wireless guitar. Some have reported problems with it, but I haven't seen any.

Bad:

  • I *hate* the boss battles. I think they ruin the illusion of Guitar-god-fantasy, and in career mode they are so infrequent that it's difficult to ramp the difficulty in a meaningful way. As a result, the powerups seem random, and strategy is non-obvious.
  • The go-go girls are unneeded and make what was previously a broaden-the-audience title and make it less so. I blogged about this before.

That's it. If you liked GH2, you'll like GH3 is I guess the super-short review :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

specifically, it does have The Number of the Beast. That should be reason alone to buy it.

Anonymous said...

That's nothing. Check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Band_(video_game)