Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Kim leaves Microsoft

I toyed with ideas for snappier names for the post (where do you want to go today, etc), but thought it best to keep it simple. I am no longer with Microsoft.

A couple weeks back, I gave my notice at Microsoft. Given that I was involved in some sensitive, future-looking stuff, they thought it best that I wrap up my activities quickly and take some extra time off. As a result, my departure (which came right before Thanksgiving, and thus everyone was out of office anyway), was unannounced and sudden.

No one should interpret this as it being in any way negative. I was enjoying my role at Microsoft and am still really jazzed about much of what they are doing. Some of the Arcade titles I helped onboard are still in production and I can't wait to see them ship so I can play them. I think Xbox360 and Live are the best game console and service on the planet today. Unlike a lot of people that give me flak about it, I like Vista. I even love my Zune(s) and now that they've added Media Center compat and wireless sync, I think they have some advantages over iPod.

Anyhow.

While I was having a great time there, not one but two opportunities presented themselves to me at the same time. I really wrestled with whether to leave at all and if so for which one. All three companies are going to have dramatic impact on games as we know it - which could I best affect? Which was going to do The Right Thing for the industry and for the medium? Which was the best move (or non-movement) for my family.

In the end, one offer was too good to turn down, and so I seized the opportunity.

I'll post more on the new gig in a day or two. I'm really excited about it. I just wanted to put the word out right now that I'm not at Microsoft any longer.

As usual, I can be found here, at VGVC.NET, or on Facebook or LinkedIn. If you need to know who to contact at Microsoft for stuff related to my previous role, drop me a mail and I'll be happy to hook you up.

Cheers!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

From my own little biased corner of the world, I'm thrilled to hear it.

Also, 'grats on being a hot property!

Anonymous said...

Congrat's Kim, you are starting to change jobs like Arctic Gin Monk did a while back...of course, I am sure you are leaving for a better opportunity. So how long is the new place going to stay secret?

Does this mean you are no longer an XBL Achievement whore? And, will you have time to H3 with the boys?

Alice said...

OOoOoOoo!

CONGRATS! How exciting. New jobs are exciting. Change is exciting. Can't wait to hear all about it.

hustlerofculture said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hustlerofculture said...

change is grrreeeeaaat! this is awesome kim. let me know where you land. and i hope your new gig sends you down south more often. :)

Dan said...

Congrats, Kim! Good luck in your new gig!

Unknown said...

congrats! will we still be able to do lunch? :)

Anonymous said...

Taking you up on your offer, I’m trying to develop a game controller peripheral, but I don’t know who to contact at Microsoft about the platform specific electronics; do you happen to know who it is I should contact?

Patrick said...

Sounds great, I'd venture a guess that one of the companies was Nintendo wanting to have you vet WiiWare proposals, something of that nature, but thats just a guess. Looking foward to hearing about your next job.

Anonymous said...

So that's why you weren't attending Migs :)

Congratz and wish you the best in your new role, wherever that might be!

Jane said...

whoa! big news! awesome! tell me more!

Mark DeLoura said...

woot! That's awesome, I'm happy for ya man! Looking forward to hearing about your new gig.

Anonymous said...

Great post, I love to buy my kids toys and products on ToysRUs, BabiesRUs and DisneyShopping stores at CouponAlbum..

Anonymous said...

Congrats and best of luck Kim. I'm really going to miss working with you but I'm sure our paths will cross again. I won't reveal the secret but they're lucky to have you.

Bill said...

Congrats Kim!

Merri Sadin said...

Good move!