Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Second round for Second Life

Second Life has scored $11M in a second round of funding.

While I find many of the developments that I read are occurring in the 'game', I really hope they use a big chunk of that money to license a 3D engine, or write a new one, that is not, well, ass.

I've tried my hand at SL a couple of times but have zero patience for circa 1998 style rendering artifacts and crashes.

Also, last time I spent any significant amount of time in SL, I deemed it a "digital shanty town" that was in dire need of an urban planner. Perhaps that part has improved, or they can use this money to hire one. I can't tell if it's improved because I tried to log in the other day and it only ran at 2fps on my 3Ghz multi-threaded box with uber GPU. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why?

Why should the chaotic and unplanned nature of A DIFFERENT WORLD (Second Life) be subject to the same boring and rational rules that planners apply to OUR WORLD (First Life)?

KimPallister said...

I didn't say they should be the *same* rules.

I just said that the chaotic layout/nature of SL results in a chaotic experience for most of it's visitors. Some of them may be ok with that. I'd submit that the majority of people are not.

jasonbob said...

nike lebron 15
moncler
golden goose outlet
balenciaga
yeezy shoes
yeezy shoes
supreme hoodie
supreme outlet
yeezy shoes
golden goose sneakers