Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Heavy Rain (of Incentives)

dIn an interview up on GamesIndustry.biz, Heavy Rain developer Quantic Dream's CEO Guillaume De Fondaumiere makes some comments on the effects that Quebec's game development incentives had on the French games industry:


[referring to the French games industry downturn from 2000 through 2005]
"...we've been hit by the distortion of competition - primarily from Canada, from Montreal, which as you know is a French-speaking province. The fact that they created a tax credit worth almost 50 per cent, this has had a big impact in France, and a lot of our creators, developers and programmers went to Canada, so I think we lost more than half of the community to Montreal in those days."

He later goes on to say that France's institution of a similar - but smaller - system helped stem the bleeding.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...primarily from Canada, from Montreal, which as you know is a French-speaking province."

I didn't know Montreal was a province!

KimPallister said...

Ha! I must have been tired when I wrote that! Not only was I wrong (Quebec is the province of course), but I should know better as it's my home town!!