Thursday, May 18, 2006

Sketch-a-Google

Via Wonderland, news that Google is going to let people party all over their virtual earth - first by building structures (a la Second Life?) and later with avatars and such.

Not sure what the biz model is or will be, and not sure if they will be as good or better than Second Life (they certainly could kick their graphics engine's fanny!)

I will say this though: They are going to let people build via SketchUp, and SketchUp is DA BOMB! It's such an awesome simple modelling tool.

I spent a lot of time back in the day doing modeling in Autocad, 3DStudio (before they Max'ed it), Truespace, and other tools, - I even got one of my models on the cover of a UK cad magazine - and while they were more capable, nothing ever came close to the simplicity of SketchUp.

A couple years ago, I used it to design my BBQ island for my contractor to build. This took me about 1hr to make:

And the final product:


3 comments:

KimPallister said...

Ha!

And people say the heat these next-gen consoles generate is a downside. They need to look at the positive side!

Anonymous said...

Dewd, NICE bbq!!

KimPallister said...

I no longer own it. The downside of building a "built in" bbq, is that when you "move out", it stays behind!