Monday, September 19, 2005

Ta-da-da-Ta-da-DAH!-da

dum,dum,dum, ta dah, dum-de-dum...

Happy Super-Day, Mario!

GameGirlAdvance alerts me to the fact that it's the 2oth anniversary of Super Mario Bros today. There's a celebration up on the japanese site too.

It's not Mario's Birthday, of course, since he first appeared in Donkey Kong in arcades in 1981, making him 24 years old. Brother Luigi was first born in 1983 in the arcade Mario Bros. Kong & his offspring also went off to lucrative solo careers :-)

Super Mario was of course fantastic, but I think Mario Bros is my favorite and still stands as a great multi-player game, where co-op could be turned to death-match with a single mis-placed turtle bump, or head-smack of the "POW" bumper! Super Mario and Mario 64 are both certainly games of historical significance though.

Keep on rockin', M&L!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I may have played Donkey Kong (with Mario) on Intellevision prior to 81. Is that possible? I know, I'm a geek....

KimPallister said...

Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong ) says it appeared in arcades first, and later in home systems. I'm pretty certain that's the case.