Friday, May 6, 2011

Book Review: The Whuffie Factor

I picked up The Whuffie Factor well over a year ago, got about half-way through it, and then got distracted with other reads. I forced myself to pick it up again and finish it off. I suppose that gives some hint as to what I thought of it.


It's not a bad book, mind you. It's just that, well, let me put it this way: If you are already somewhat versed in the subject matter, if the terms whuffie or social capital don't require explanation - then you already get it. If you don't, then maybe it's useful. My father-in-law, for example, picked it up while visiting and found it interesting.

Furthermore, for those that expound on the social media scene, there's this annoying trait of that tight-knit circle that they all share the same 20 anecdotes about the successes and failures (Zappos, Threadless, etc). If you read Hugh MacLeod's stuff, you get it with a hard edge. If you read Seth Godin, you get it with some inspiration and some good analysis. In Tara Hunt's case, I found it was just the regurgitated story, without much new to add.

So, in short, if you can infer from the title what it's about, then its probably not for you. If you know someone looking for a crash course, maybe its for them.

The Whuffie Factor: Using the Power of Social Networks to Build Your Business

No comments: