Monday, January 3, 2011

Twitter-abstinence experiment over

A couple years ago, when all the intertubers got all hot and bothered over the next wave of technical hullaballoo, namely Twitter, I decided to try an experiment and sit out one round of technology.


Well, it's been long enough and here I am: @kimpall.

Did I learn anything from the experiment?
  • It's not the end of the world to be off the grid, or at least off the latest medium/tech. In fact, plenty of young, tech-savvy, innovative people are not on Twitter or Facebook, and yet they manage to thrive. Imagine that, twittees!
  • Twitter, like Facebook, can be a serious timewaster and ADD magnet, if you let it (at least it seems that way)
  • On the other hand, it seems a killer app at conferences
  • While I don't need to be abreast of every meme to the very minute, it does seem like there's a lack of reliability of the more relevant memes leaping off of Twitter and onto the less ephemeral blogosphere. Some do, some don't.
So, I'm on it, but I will aim to have some goals while using it. I'll try to keep time-wasters to a medium (try...)

No comments: