Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Geotagging is going to explode

Steve Lacey points us to something uber-cool.

Flickr has added geo-tagging with google maps.


OK, so now I can take a pic with my cell phone, Shozu auto-uploads it to my flickr account, I go to flickr when I'm in front of a PC, drag and drop it onto the map in the right location (if I want to), and with one click I can blog it.

Pretty cool.

It's not *quite* the full feature set of what I want, but it's nifty nonetheless. I'd still like to see the integration be fully transparent (e.g. I'd like to be able to zoom the map and see not only links to images at a given location, but also to related blog entries)

The trick to making this stuff take off is making it brain dead simple, and they've done that. I'd expect the number of people using this is going to just rocket upward.

2 comments:

Darius Kazemi said...

Actually, it uses Yahoo Maps. Which makes sense, since Flickr is owned by Yahoo.

Anonymous said...

Most newer phones have GPS built in - so the link to the map could be automated as well... no need to drag it to a map, just log into an account and look at (where) you took the pictures... in real time, potentially.

Neat, but phone cameras suck.