Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Carb shortage

After a discussion with a friend at GDC (and you know who you are), I've decided to have a go at the low-carb thing to lose a few pounds.

This is problematic because it cuts a couple food groups from my diet entirely. Of course, by food groups, I don't mean the ones you learned about in school, but those by which I've divided my own spectrum of sustenance. In order of priority, these are:

  1. Caffeine.
  2. Pork products.
  3. Foods containing complex carbohydrates, processed sugar, and fat. Ideally, fried. (This delicious Venn diagram intersection includes things like doughnuts. Mmm... doughnuts... and cake. Mmm... cake). I know it's covered by 4,5,6, but I think it deserves it's own group.
  4. Carbohydrates. Yes, dammit. It's a food group.
  5. Sugar.
  6. Fat. The more the better.
  7. Other meat products
  8. Chocolate. (And not poor quality chocolate, which is not edible. period)
  9. Fried grains/breads/tubers
  10. grains/breads/tubers
  11. Stuff lemurs eat (fruit, insects)
  12. Stuff rabbits eat (lettuce, carrots, other insects)

So, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9 and 10, are all off the menu. I'm doing a little bit of 11/12 (minus insects) but mainly to cleanse the palette between varieties of pork products.

Wish me luck!

[I'd have drawn this into a nifty diagram but I'm a little woozy right now as my DDI (doughnut digestive index) is low so I'm not up to it.]

3 comments:

Dan said...

What's worked (and is still working) for me is not exactly low-carb, though there is plenty of protein involved. Basically, you just cut out...

1) sugar,
2) refined carbs (white flour),
3) starch (potatoes, corn).

What's left is...

1) protein,
2) low-carb vegetables,
3) fruit,
4) whole grain carbs (brown rice, whole grain flour).

With this combo of foods, I feel better than I ever have.

At the store, the percentage of packaged goods I buy has dropped precipitously (although Triscuits are whole grain - yay!).

The biggest hurdle was internalizing the idea that it isn't a finite diet, but a permanent lifestyle change. A nice fringe benefit is that it has removed the concept of guilt.

Bonne Chance!

roothee said...

replica designer bags replica bags from korea visite site replica bags in london here are the findings replica bags wholesale mumbai

retishen said...

replica bags v42 r2k66s6p77 replica bags f82 g0q97j1r49 good quality replica bags c85 s6n24o0p33